Morrison's Pensions

Pension Application for Philip Cannon

State of Massachusetts
            On this thirtieth day of August A.D. 1832, personally appeared in open court before the Judge of the Court of Probate, now sitting at Diahton (by Adjt) in the County of Bristol & state of Massachusetts, Philip Cannon of New Bedford in said county aged seventy-four years on the 11th day of September 1832, who being duly sworn according to law, doth on oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the act of Congress passed June 7th 1832.  That he entered the service of the United States under the following named officers & served as herein after stated, viz.
            That in the fall of 1776, when the British first came to Newport, Rhode Island, he then being of Dartmouth, now New Bedford, was drafted with several others, Levi Jenny was one, to go for a guard at & near Howland’s Ferry in Tiverton, in R. Island State; that we were marched to & mustered at Esqr. Durfees in Freetown, the town adjoining north of said Tiverton & there was put into a company composed all or chiefly of men from said Freetown that the name of the captain was Benjamin Hathaway & was from Freetown that he was at [?] places up & down the rivers & bay with two or three others as guards that he was private and that Col. Hathaway commanded the troops there about. 
            That he was drafted for four months & served that term of time that said  Jenny is dead & that he knows no one living who was in that service.  That he was dismissed in February following, but received no written discharge that he recollects. 
            That in the fall of 1777, he thinks in October or November, he served on month in R. Island near Fogland’s Ferry in Tiverton in a company commanded by Capt. Brett of said Dartmouth; that men were called for at the time to assist in an expedition proposed against the British then on R. Island to be commanded by Gen’l Spencer & nearly a whole company went from Dartmouth, as volunteers; at least that they consented to go on said expedition under said Capt. Brett, who was a popular man.  He remembers, that they were three times called upon, while at their station near Fogland’s ferry to prepare to go to the Island at R. Island in boats.  That so often they went down to the shore to embark, but were again ordered back.
            That in 1778, he served two months under Capt. Kempton on Clark’s Point in said Dartmouth about two miles south of the Village of Bedford.  That he enlisted in 1778 for eight months & served for & during that period in an artillery company commanded by Capt. Peter Cushing, being a regular state corps, & being stationed most of said time in & near the Village of Bedford.  Then Gordon was a lieutenant & one Metcalf was a lieutenant in said company.  Said company was stationed for the defence of Bedford. 
            That during said eight months service, the said company was ordered to R. Island for the defence of that island, it being the time Gen’l Sullivan commanded there in August 1778, (as he thinks) & was there about two weeks.  Was in the battle there & afterward was stationed a little while on the neck leading to the ferry & remembers Gen’l Lafayette coming for one of the field pieces belonging to Capt. Cushing’s Company.
            That the day after the retreat from the Island, Cushing’s Company returned to Dartmouth & Bedford & the day following the British landed there & marched up to the head of the river & burnt great part of Bedford Village.  That said artillery company retreated but in the retreat, the enemy were near & often fired on them & killed Lieut. Metcalf, who was shot in the head, who was a brave officer. 
            That he also went to Naushon Island, one of the Elizabeth Islands below Bedford, with the greater part of two companies one time & at two other times with a less number to drive off the British who were there plundering the people of sheep, cattle, etc. 
            That on one of the said times he & those with him had a skirmish with the British, when two of the enemy were killed.  Capt George Claghorn commanded in the principal of these last said expeditions; which according to my recollections took up about a week each time & the whole time preparing therefore was at least one month in the whole.
            That also during three or four months, after that he, as well as others in the village & company of militia, alternately kept watch or guard at Clark’s Point; that he went every seven or eight night in and for said service, but attended most of said time in the days to his usual business.  The time of this last service being about four weeks, as near as he can recollect.  That he also went three different times, besides what is before stated to Elizabeth Islands, twice & under said Kempton in order to take one, John Slocum who resided chiefly on one of the said Islands & who furnished the British with sheep, cattle & provisions & who was ordered by the government to be taken up & that the last time we did take said Slocum &delivered him up to a committee.
            That I was born in Dartmouth now New Bedford & resided there when called into service as performed.  That he hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension except the present & declares that his name is not borne on any of the pensions rolls of the agency of any state.
(signed) Phillip Cannon
Sworn to & Subscribed the day & year heretofore written.
H. Baylies, Judge of Probate.

Commonwealth of Massachusetts
            On the twenty-first day of August one thousand eight hundred and thirty-eight personally appeared before Oliver Prescott, Judge of the Court of Probate in and for the County of Bristol and Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Phebe Cannon a resident of New Bedford in the said County of Bristol aged eighty years, who being first duly sworn according to law, doth on her oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the provisions made by the act of Congress passed July 7, 1838 entitled “An Act Granting Half Pay and Pensions To Certain Widows.”
            That she is the widow of Philip Cannon late of said New Bedford deceased who was a private soldier in the War of the Revolution, and served in the militia.
            She further states that her husband the said Philip Cannon was a pensioner of the United States under the Act of Congress of June 7, 1832 and she refers to his declaration there and to the rolls for proof of his said services.
            She further declares that she was married to the said Philip Cannon on the twenty second day of July seventeen hundred and eighty.  That her husband the aforesaid Philip Cannon died on the twenty-four day of August in the year eighteen hundred and thirty-five.  That she was not married to him prior to his leaving the service, but that the marriage took place previous to the first of January, seventeen hundred and ninety four, viz, at the time afore stated.
(Signed with her mark) Phebe Cannon
Witness Nathl Cannon
            Sworn to & subscribed on the day and year above written before me, Oliver Prescott.
            She was granted as the widow of Philip, pension at the rate of 63.33 per annum to commence on the 4th day of March 1843.  Certificate of Pension issued the 12th day of Sept. 1843 and sent to S. Bassett, Taunton, Mass.  [Act of March 3, 1843]  Recorded in Book A; Vol. 1; Page 39.

Return to opening page of Morrisons's Pensions

Copyright 1998, -- 2006. James F. Morrison and Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.