Morrison's Pensions

Pension Application for Elisha Andrews

Amended Declaration of Elisha Andrews
State of New York
County of Saratoga. 
            Personally appeared before me the undersigned a Justice of the Peace in and for said county Elisha Andrews, who being duly sworn doth depose and say that by reason of old age and the consequent loss of memory he cannot positively state as to the precise length of his service; but according to the best of his recollection he served not less than the services mentioned when and in the following grades.
            For not less than one month, I served as a pri vate in Capt. Marvin’s Company in the expedition to Ticonderoga in 1775.
            For not less than three months he served as a private soldier and did duty as he has described, in his second expedition to the north, and at Crown Point.
            For not less than two weeks I served, as Quarter Master, in the expedition to Johnstown.
            For not less than four days I served as a common soldier in my pursuit after McGussins.
            For not less than ten days, five days each, in my journey to Saratoga Springs.  To serve as a common soldier.
            For not less than four weeks, I served under the command of Col. McCrea, as a QuarterMaster.
            For not less than two weeks was out on duty under Major Dickinson as a QuarterMaster on the expedition to Fort George.
            For not less than four weeks I was sick on duty as a Quarter Master in the latter part of the summer, under the same Major Dickinson.
            For not less than two months he did service as a militia man or common soldier, as he has declared, whilst he held the commission as Quarter Master.
            For not less than two months he did duty as Adjustant in Col. McCrea’s regiment, when it marched from Stillwater to Fort George & c.
            For not less than two months he served as a private doing all the duty required of him from the time he joined the American Army under Gen. Gates, at Van Schacik’s Island, till the surrender of Burgoyne.
            For not less than three weeks, was out doing duty as adjutant in the spring of 1778.
            For not less than three weeks did duty as an adjutant, at Fort Edward and burying the dead at Fort George.
            For not less than two months he did duty as an issuing commissary, as Palmintour.  He was appointed, whether verbally or otherwise, cannot say by Derick Swart now deceased who was a commissary of the American Army, stationed at Stillwater.
            For not less than three weeks he acted as adjutant in the expedition under Governor Clinton.
            For not less than two weeks he was engaged under the orders of Col. McCrea in making out ammunition to the Army.  He does not know, to what grade this service will be considered to belong.  He service was done.
            For not less than eight months of the last three years of the war, he was out doing duty as a private or adjutant and one third of the eight months, did duty as an adjutant and for such services I claim a pension.  (Signed) Elisha Andrews
            Sworn to this fourth day of February 1833.  George Palmer.  Justice aforesaid.

State of New York
Saratoga County SS.
            On this fifth day of September AD 1932 personally appeared in open Court before the Judges of the Saratoga County Courts, now sitting Elisha Andrews a resident of the town of Stillwater County & State aforesaid aged 82 years who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the Act of Congress passed June 7, 1832.—
            That he entered the service of the United States under the following names officers & served as herein stated—Captain Ebenezer Marvin—Lieutenant Simeon Barber & Ezra Buel, 2nd Lieutenants – no other officers recollected—the above officers were chosen by those whom they commanded—he entered the service at this time in the forepart of May 1775 and left it the same year the forepart of June (one month)  marched form Stillwater to Fort Edward as a volunteer thence to Fort George thence to Fort Ticonderoga, his destination was to join the forces under Colonels Allen & Arnold for the reduction of Ticonderoga, but that fort was taken before his arrival 2 or 3 days, no continental regiments were with him he knew Colonels Allen & Arnold & Capt. Sawyer, he was informed on his arrival at Ticonderoga that our troops lay on Mount Independence, across Lake Champlain a little southeast of Ticonderoga, being determined to make an attempt to take the fort—as many as the boats would carry crossed over by night with Colonel Allen they were to wait until the others crossed but day broke and Allen thinking it unsafe to remain until the residue came over, marched his men up to the Fort where he found the sentinel asleep whom Allen struck over the head telling him to wake up—the then marched his men into the Fort and paraded them on the parade ground of the Fort, and then called on the commander of the fort, Captain De La Place to surrender, the commander asked by what authority, Allen answered by the authority of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress, the commander surrendered without resistance; this applicant was at the Fort when a certain individual got possession of a number of guns and a quantity of ammunition and secured them clandestinely in our of the barracks and refused to deliver them up—he fired upon two men and wounded one in the knee and the other in the body, a council was called and it was concluded to shoot him unless he would give then up—he did not & Capt. Sawyer shot him.  This applicant remained at Ticonderoga one week till Arnold went to St. Johns & captured a sloop and took a number of prisoners.  This applicant & others came down to Stillwater with the prisoners; as there were men enough to guard them, he remained at Stillwater a few days only and about the middle of June (1775) went alone through the country to Crown Point as a volunteer and there joined the army under Colonel Arnold who pretended to be the commander—The command was in dispute between him and Col. Easton—Arnold became enraged and kicked Easton across the parade and struck him with his sword, this applicant left the service on account of sickness about the first of September, he recollect none of the officers belonging to Arnold’s regiment  but Arnold himself. There was a regiment at Crown Point at this time from Connecticut commanded by Col. Hinman, Maj. Ellmer, Capt. John Watson, Lieut. Titus Watson were officers in the above regiment. This applicant received about the first of January a Quarter Master’s commission signed by Abraham Yates, Jun. the President of the Provincial Congress of the Colony of New York—
            This applicant was called out about the same time January 1776 was out about 2 weeks the officers that accompanied him in this expedition whom he recollects were Gen. Schuyler, Major Daniel Dickinson, Capt. John Thompson.  They marched from Stillwater, Saratoga County (then Albany County) to Albany about 24 miles halted there 2 or 3 days then went to Schenectady about 16 miles to one Colonel Clossand from thence to Caughnawaga, there halted 3 or 4 days and then went to Johnstown Montgomery County where they remained one day and were then dismissed from this expedition and returned home, this expedition was undertaken for the purpose of subduing some Tories collected under Sir John Johnson at Johnstown during the halt at Caughnawaga a negotiation took place between Sir John & Gen. Schuyler the result of which was Sir John Johnson gave to Gen. Schuyler his parole of honour that he nor the tories with him should commit any hostilities against the Americans as this applicant then understood it which parole of honour he understood Sir John broke after his return from the above expedition till some time in June following he was called out a number of times on scouts, the times he recollects was once to one Mr. Gilpins a half pay British Officers, it was reported he was enlisting men for the King and this applicant with others was sent out in search of them; also twice him and others were sent to Saratoga Springs, then a wilderness were out in the whole about two weeks they were sent out by the committee of Safety the members of which whom he recollects were George Palmer and Wm. Patrick—
            This applicant was called out the same month June 1776 by Colonel John McCrea the commanding officer of the militia was out at this time 4 weeks; the officers recollected who were out at this time were Col. McCrea, Majors Dickinson, & VanSchaick, Capt. Thompson, Lieut. Benjamin, Ensign Joseph roe (all dead) marched from Stillwater to Johns’ near Fort Edward remained there during the whole time they were out. The object of this expedition was to guard the frontiers against the common enemy. This applicant was out again soon after returned from the last named expedition officers recollected were Major Dickinson, Capt. Thompson, marched from Stillwater through the wilderness to Fort George.  Col. VanSchaick’s regiment was at the Fort, he was absent but some of his officers were present, those recollected were Major Peter Gansevoort, Adjutant Peter Tierce, Capt. Job Right, Lieut Holton Dunham, Ensign Elias Palmer remained at Fort George 2 weeks distance from Fort George to Stillwater 42 miles.  Called out again the latter part of summer was out 4 weeks; officers recollected were Maj. Dickinson, Capt. Thomson, Lieut Benjamin, marched from Stillwater to Jones’ near Fort Edward, the object of this expedition was to guard the frontiers, during the time this applicant was Quartermaster he was called out very frequently by night and by day one, two or three days at a time just as the circumstances required; he held himself in readiness to go wherever his services were needed to protect the frontiers on to perform any duty which the common welfare of the country and the safety of its inhabitants required. The above mentioned commission was destroyed many years ago the applicant cannot recollect how long he was out at these several times.—
            In the forepart of the year 1777 (the day and month not recollected) it was very soon after George Clinton was elected the first governor of the State of New York, this applicant received and adjutants commission from the Governor and Council of appointments signed by George Clinton.  The Gov. and head of said commission was to continue during the pleasure of the Gov. and council of appointment and did continue during the remaining period of the revolutionary war; this commission was destroyed many years ago.  The officers were the same as when he was Quartermaster of the regiment of Militia, which regiment was stationed in and about Stillwater which was considered the frontiers of the Country. He went out the fore part of June 1777 the officers recollected were Major Dickinson, Capt. Thompson, Ensign VanBuren. They marched from Stillwater to Fort Edward thence to Fort George, there halted till Burgoyne and his army had arrived at Skenesborough (now Whitehall).  The object of this march was to stop the enemies progress.   The American forces when news came, that Burgoyne was at Skenesborough retreated from Fort George to Fort Edward first burning all the vessels and barracks and carrying away all their ammunition and artillery. The American forces remained at Fort Edward some days and then retreated towards Stillwater when those of the regiment had families to protect left the army the beginning of August for the purpose of conveying them to a place of safety; this applicant after conveying his family to a place of safety returned to the army (having been absent about two weeks) at VanSchaick Island where Gen. Gates and his army lay 8 or 10 miles north of Albany.  This applicant was on the Island with the army several days; then went on before them to look out for the enemy; after this he was a few days at Stillwater securing his property—then went  to the army on Bemis Heights—was not present the day Burgoyne surrendered but was the day before on account of the Militias being dispersed through the country some to secure their families and about one half had deserted and gone to the enemy—This applicant was out from the first of June until the surrender of Burgoyne Oct 17.  At this time he was out 4 months.
            The next spring 1778 this applicant was sent to Lake George crossed the northern part of the lake distance 78 miles was out about 3 weeks—soon after his return he and others were sent to Fort Edward and laid there 3 weeks while there a British detachment came down to Fort George—The commander of this Fort (this applicant thinks) was named Chipman he sent out a detachment of his own men to meet and destroy the British.  But the American detachment was almost entirely cut off the commanders conduct in this affair was censoured. This applicant was one of a party from Fort Edward which buried the Americans who were killed at Fort George as above stated.  This applicant was at a place called Palmertown (now Wilton) Saratoga County NY—Major Dickinson commander the object was to build a block house and keep a guard. This applicant was an issuing commissary was at this place about 2 months when they left there considering it unnecessary to remain any longer.  This applicant was one of the party under Gov. Clinton which went to Saratoga, Fort Edward and Fort George & from there to Crown Point to intercept a party of the enemy which had been committing depredations on the Mohawk River.  The intention was to prevent the enemy from reaching their vessels which they had left at Crown Pt. but the Gov. and his party being delay for want of provisions and by waiting to send to Albany for them; the enemy escaped on board their vessels, and the Americans returned without accomplishing their object – he was out at this time not less than 3 weeks.
            This applicant was sent by Col. McCrea at two different times to Albany for ammunition for the regiment which he brought to Stillwater. The Col. left it with him to deal out to the regiment, in this business he was engaged about 2 weeks.
            From the latter part of the year 1778 until the close of the war, the regiment to which he belonged & was called out oftener than any other (except Gordan’s of Ballston) they being on the frontiers; there was alarms and called to turn out every few days sometimes to Saratoga sometimes to the west to Ballston and thereabouts to the south of NewTown there was scarcely a week but they were out sometimes 3 or 4 days sometimes longer, this applicant was out so much that it was impossible to attend to his own business—and equally impossible to state the times he was out, or the length of the times—so many years have elapsed he cannot recollect—but to the best of his knowledge and belief thinks he was out more than one third of the time (that is) from the opening of spring until the troops went into winter quarters during the last 3 years of the war.
            He has no documentary evidence of his service & he knows of no person whose testimony he can procure who can testify to his service except those whose affidavits are annexed.
            To the interrogatories propounded by the court the applicant made the following answers.

  1.  He was born at the town of Wallingfords in the County of New Haven in the State of Connecticut on the 13th day of August 1750.
  2. He has a record of his age in his family Bible at home as he received it from his father.
  3. When he entered the service he was living at Saratoga a District, [in] Albany Co.,  now the town of Stillwater in the County of Saratoga & State of New York where he has resided ever since the Revolutionary War & where he now resides.
  4. He entered the service as a volunteer.
  5. At Ticonderoga Colonels Allen & Arnold commanded, Colonel Allen had a part of his regiment there. He cannot state the names of officers or the general circumstances of his service more fully than above set forth.
  6. He never received any discharge from the service. 
  7. Elias Palmer Esqr, William Seymour, John Wilson, Judge George Palmer, Seth Eddy.

            He hereby relinquishes all claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the present & declares that his name is not on the pension roll of the agency of any state.  (Signed) Elisha Andrews
            Subscribed & Sworn in open court this 5th day of September 1832.  Thomas Palmer, Clerk.

Letter in file, written February 16, 1939, in response to a request for information.
            The data which follow are found in the papers on file in pension claim, S. 12925, based upon; service in the Revolutionary War of Elisha Andrews, of Albany County, New York.
            Elisha Andrews (as the signed his name) was born August 13, 1750 in Wallingford, New Haven County, Connecticut; the names of his parents are not shown.  At the time of the Revolutionary War, he resided in Stillwater, Albany County (later Saratoga County), New York.
            Elisha Andrews volunteered in May 1775, served as a private in Captain Marvin’s New York company on the expedition to Ticonderoga, and served also at Crown Point; he was commissioned January 1, 1776, quartermaster, and served in that capacity in Colonel John McCrea’s New York regiment, at Fort Edward and Fort George, also, served four months as private with the troops under General Gates against General Burgoyne’s Army in 1777; he was commissioned Adjutant, Colonel John  McCrea’s New York Regiment, served in that capacity from the spring of 1778 over a period of several years, and at one time as i8ssuing commissary under Dirk Swart, Commissary.
            Elisah Andrews was allowed pension on his application executed September 5, 1832, at which time he resided in Stillwater, New York; he had resided there ever since the Revolutionary War.  He stated that his surname was spelled in different ways by other branches of the family, sometime as Andries. The soldier died June 3, 1838, at his home in Stillwater, New York.
            Mary, the widow of Elisha Andrews, died July 22 or 23, `838, in Stillwater, New York; her maiden name is not shown, nor the date and place of their marriage.  The names of the children who survived Elisha Andrews, were given as follows: Tamzen Hubbard, Eleanor Bailey, Lucy Sherwood, Mary Esmond, and Elisabeth Andrews.  Mary Esmond was deceased in 1851 and was not survived by children; the other four were living then.  In 1851, the daughter, Elizabeth Andrews, resided in theCity of Albany, New York; at that time one Elizabeth Andrews, 2nd was in Albany, also, the names of her parents not designated.

Return to opening page of Morrison's Pensions

Copyright 1998, -- 2008. James F. Morrison and Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.