Morrison's Pensions

Pension Application for Eliab Eggleston

W.2,7749 (Widow: Lucy, married Feb. 20, 1798, Eliab died March 2, 1838.  Lucy applied for pension  Apr 2, 1851, resident of Springfield Township, Richland Col, Ohio aged 73 years.)
Continental New York
Roll of Ohio, Pittsburgh.  Private in Captain Bartlett’s Company, Col. Watson’s Regiment, New York Line.
This State of Ohio
Granger County SS.
            On this fourteenth day of September AD 1832 personally appeared in open Court before their Honors Reuben Wood, President, and Asa Cowles, Daniel Kerr and John Hubbard associate Judges of the Court of Common Pleas within and for said County now sitting, Eliab Eggleston a resident of Auburn Township in the county of Granger and State of Ohio aged seventy years, who being first duly sworn according to law doth, on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the Act of Congress passed June 7, 1832.
            That he in the capacity of a private entered the service of the United States as a substitute in the month of April AD 1776 (the precise day of the month not recollected) in the company under Capt. Bartlett, Lieut. Ellmore, at Spencertown, in the County of Albany (now County of Columbus [Columbia]) and State of New York, where he then resided, and was marched under the command of said officers, through Klinekill, Kinderhook and Greenbush to Albany and was there placed under the direction of Col. James Weston, who at that time commanded a regiment of regular troops at Albany.  This claimant remained at Albany about one month, when the company to which he belonged was detached from the command of Col. Weston and attached to a regiment under the command of Col. Willis and was marched to Stone Robby where this claimant was taken wick with the measles and sent back to Albany the day preceding Willis’ defeat near Stone Robby—This claimant remained in Albany in the Hospital until sometime in August of the year last aforesaid, when he was discharged and returned home, having been in service four months—
            This claimant further states that in the capacity of a private about the first of May AD 1777 he again entered the service of the United States, employed in a class as a substitute at Nobletown in Albany County aforesaid under the command of Capt. John Rouse, Lieut Amos Newcomb, Ensign John Collins and was marched to Greenbush, where his company and the others called out at that time in that vicinity went and were formed into a regiment and placed under the command of Col. Henry Livingston – He was then marched the place now called Lansingburgh, where with his regiment he crossed the river onto the Island between the two sprouts of the Mohawk River on which Island were stationed several brigades, the names of those commanders are not recollected by this claimant—He remained there about two months when pursuant to orders, his regiment crossed the North Sprout of the Mohawk and was marched to Bemis Heighths [sic] where his regiment was under the command of Gen Poor—whither it was attached to Gen. Poor’s Brigade at this place or before they arrived there is unknown to this claimant—he now recollects of other brigades there Gen. Wayne’s and Gen. Arnold’s the whole under the command of Gen. Gates.—He was then marched to Capt. Woodworth’s meadow where he lay near Gen Gates headquarters until the first battle commenced when his regiment and the regiment under the command of Col. John McKinstry were sent to protect the garrison on “ploughers hill”, where they lay until two battles were fought called among the soldiers “Friday’s battle” and “Tuesday’s battle”, and the British retreated to Saratoga which was on the second day after the 1st battle was fought—He then in company with the main army pursued the enemy, to Schuyler’s Mills where he was engaged in the siege of Burgoyne’s army until as he thinks the 17th of Oct when the enemy surrendered—Soon after the main part of the army marched to Greenbush with the enemy under guard, where the regiment to which this claimant belonged left them and was marched  down to Rhinebeck where they arrived about the 25th of October, when this claimant was discharged and returned home having been in service at this time about five months—At this time he received a written discharge from Col. Henry Livingston which through lapse of time and want of care arising from a supposition that it was of no use to him, has been lost—
            This claimant further states that he as a private soldier again entered the service of the United States, being at this time drafted, at Nobletown in said County of Albany, where he ten resided, under the command of Capt. William Jackson in the early part of April A.D. 1778 and was marched to the place on the North River, now called Hudson, where he with his company went on board boats and proceeded down the river to Esopus, stranded and lay there about a week—He was thence marched to Morristown in New Jersey and thence through Moravian town, Bethlehem, East town & [Scheryhkill?] to Valley Forge in Pennsylvania where were Gen’l Patterson’s Brigade and others the names of whose officers are not now recollected by this claimant—This claimant was then attached to Col. Cortlandt’s regiment, and with the other recruits was inoculated for the small pox—soon after his arrival at Valley Forge, all the troops who were able to bear arms were ordered to march to intercept the British on their way from Philadelphia to New York—This claimant being declared by the surgeon unable to go, remained until about the first of August being confined with the small pox and yellow fever—He was then with the other sick, carried to Yellow Springs and placed in the Hospital and remained there and in that vicinity until in October, when having recovered his health, he marched across Carrell’s ferry to Morristown in New Jersey, thence to King’s ferry and thence to White Plains, where he joined the company under the command of Capt. Jackson and the regiment commanded by Col. Cortlandt—He remained there about one month, when he was again taken sick and was sent to Albany where he remained until about the first of January A.D. 1779 when he received a written discharge from one Doct Smith of the Hospital at said Albany, and returned home having been at this time in service nine months.  The discharge received at this time like the one above mentioned has been lost—
            This claimant further states that he again left Nobletown between the 20th and 30th of March 1779 and went to Soldier’s Fortune, where as a volunteer and private soldier, he joined the company under the command of Capt. Nath’l Dion, 1st Lieut John Welch, 2 Lieut. William Eaton, which company belonged to the regiment under the command of Col. Henry Jackson, Major Watrous and to the brigade of Genl. [Learned?]—He remained there until in April when under the command of said officers, he was marched down to Peekskill, where Gen’l Putnam had the command of the forces assembled, among which this claimant recollects gen Patterson’s brigade and the regiments of Col. Bailey and of Col. Michael Jackson—While there Lieut Smith a spy of the enemy was detected in the camp, was tried and suffered punishment—Previous to his execution which was performed by bending down an oak sapling and fastening the culprit to it and suffering it to spring back by its own elasticity, this claimant well recollects hearing Gen. Putnam declare in strong terms, that the enemy demanded Smith and that they should have him, but he would hang him first—After remaining a short time at Peekskill, this claimant with his regiment was marched to Robinson’s Farms on the North River and crossed the river to West Point, where was Genl Washington’s head quarters at that time where as this claimant thinks, the main army was assembled—He remained there until the latter part of June, when Genl Washington called for a number of volunteers from each regiment to go on a private expedition.—This claimant volunteered as one from his regiment and went down the river under command of Capt. Johnson and joined Gen Wayne at the English neighborhood—There Capt. Johnson’s company was attached to a regiment under the command of Col. Meigs—of the other officers there this claimant now recollects Col. Febiger, Col. Flewry, Col. Butler and Major Murphy—He remained there until the afternoon of the 14th of July and then was marched to Long Clove, a niche in the mountain—In the afternoon of the 15th about 4 o’clock the army under command of Gen. Wayne marched to Flemmings and lay there until about 12 o’clock at night, when it crossed a bridge over a march and advanced upon Stony Point—Immediately after crossing the bridge the picquette guard of the enemy force upon Wayne’s army—Gen. Wayne’s army advanced in two columns, one led by Col. Febiger and the other by Col. Butler and immediately took the fort while a thrice column led by an officer unknown to this claimant advanced from a different direction and took two redoubts situate a short distance from the fort—In this battle this claimant received a wound in the head from a bayonet the marks of which are still perceptible—Immediately after the capture of the Fort, its guns were turned upon the British shipping which lay in the River opposite the Fort—After this battle, this claimant remained a short time in Col. Meig’s regiment and then returned under the command of Col. Henry Jackson and the company commanded by Capt. Dixon—While there he was engaged in several scouting parties and remained under the command of said officers until the first of January AD 1780, when he received a written discharge from Col. Jackson and returned home—said discharge like those above mentioned has been lost—He was at this time in service a little more than nine months.
            This claimant further states that he was born at Stoningtown in Connecticut in March AD 1762 and that he has no record of his age—
            That since the revolution he has lived two years in Hancock, Berkshire County, Massachusetts; five years in Claverich [Claverack] State of New York, three years in Hampstead, State of New York, two years in Coeymans, New York, Nineteen years in Granville, Washington County, New York, twelve years in Middlesex State of New York, three years in Burton, Granger County, Ohio and that he now resides in Auburn in said County of Granger where he has lived near three years—
            This claimant further states that he has now no documentary evidence of his service, his discharges having been lost, and that he knows of no person whose testimony he can procure, who can testify to his service—
            And he hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the present and declares that his name is not on the pension roll of the agency of any state.  (Signed) Ehial Eggleston
            Sworn to and subscribed the day and year aforesaid before me in open Court.  D.D. Aiken, Clerk
Children shown in a later deposition: Erastus b. Jan 7, 1799; David b. Mch 24, 1801; Darius b. Nov 7, 1893; Almira b. Apr 21, 1806 m, M. Stebbins; Eliab b. July 29, 1808; Olive Jane b Dec 10, 1801 d. June 10, 1814; Reuben b June 12, 1813; Wm Nelson b. Apr 2, 1816, Lucy Ann b Apr 28, 1819.

Return to opening page of Morrison's Pensions

Copyright 1998, -- 2008. James F. Morrison and Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.