Morrison's Pensions

Pension Application for Nicholas Myers

W. 18546
State of New York
County of Oswego
            On this nineteenth day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty nine personally appeared in open Court before the Court of Common Pleas for the County of Oswego new sitting Nicholas Myers a resident of the said County of Oswego and the State of New York aged eighty years in the month of January next who first being duly sworn according to Law doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the pension of the Act of Congress passed June 7, 1832.
            That he entered the service of the United States under the following named officers and served as herein stated.
            That in the month of May 1777 being then in his Eighteenth year he resided in the County of Herkimer and State of New York and volunteered to serve in the Militia of said State.  That he was induced to volunteer from the entreaties of Captain Barter and Ensign Bellinger.
            That the Regiment into which he volunteered to serve were in garrison at Fort Dayton. The commanding officer was General Herkimer, the name of his Colonel was Peter Bellinger, that of his Lieutenant Colonel was Frederick Bellinger, that of the Major was Klappsattle - that of his Captain was Barter and that of his Ensign was John Bellinger. Some of the privates in his Company whose names he now remembers were John Dochstater, Peter  Dochstater, Christopher Belinger, Philip Barter, Jacob Weaver The name of his Sergeant was Melchoir Foltz.
            That Gen’l Herkimer returned from the Battle of Oriskany which he thinks occurred early in August 1777 with his leg fractured by a Musket Ball received in that Battle - that the General's leg was afterwards amputated, he believes that the Gen’l remained at the Fort only during one night and was then removed to his residence on the Mohawk River about 8 (eight) miles below the Fort and about 2 miles below little falls, and where he believes the Gen’l subsequently died of his wounds - Major Klappsattle was killed in the Battle of Oriskany and Lieut. Col. Fred Bellinger was taken prisoner. That Col. Peter Bellinger was their next Commanding Officer at the Fort.  Deponent was not present at the Battle of Oriskany but was left behind with others to guard the Fort.
            That after the above mentioned battle this deponent with the rest of the troops remained in garrison at Fort Dayton under the Command of Col. Peter Bellinger, Captain Barter being still the Captain of his Company.  
That some time in August of 1778 (this deponent still doing military duty at Fort Dayton) a large detachment of Tories and Indians, amounting in number to seven hundred as the deponent was then told he believes, under Joseph Brant arrived in the neighborhood of the Fort.  They committed great depredations, burning the houses, barns, the crops for two or three miles around, he thinks there was but one person in the neighborhood who was killed, and he was a farmer. That a Scouting party consisting of three men one of whom was deponents brother were sent out from the Fort to ascertain the number of the enemy ??? only one of whom returned in safety to the Fort, his name was Helmer, deponents brother's name was John Myers. There were then in garrison at the fort only about sixty regular militia men and about twelve friendly Indians as well as he can recollect. Owning to this disparity of forces they dared not go out of the Fort to meet the enemy - That after destroying the houses, barns in the County around, Brant and his troops left taking with them all the cattle and provisions they could find.
            That in June of the year 1779 as this deponent verily believes the militia of Fort Dayton had a skirmish with a party of White and Indian Tories numbering in all about Sixteen men.  The Skirmish took place on West Canada Creek about one mile from the Fort - the circumstances of which were these viz:
            Four men, three women and a boy had gone that day from the Fort to Squire Foltz's Farm distance about two miles from the Fort.  That this deponent stood on guard as sentry at the Fort and in the Afternoon of that day heard firing in the direction of the farm.  That he asked permission of the Ensign (Bellinger) to go out to the assistance of the men and women, which being granted he ran out towards them.  That when he came in sight he saw the Indians busy scalping the women, and he seeing their number too great to approach too near, stood at a distance and fired on them.  That soon about ten men came rushing out of the Fort and this deponent with them advanced on the enemy who then retreated and finally escaped. Not one of them was either killed or taken prisoner.  That two women were scalped, one of whom was dead when the militia came on the ground - the other afterward recovered and lived, the husband of the last mentioned woman whose name was Dornbergher, who was one of the four men who went out to the farm was taken prisoner by the enemy.  All the others returned to the Fort unhurt. The woman who was scalped and recovered was scalped by her own brother who was among the enemy.
            That from the time of the last skirmish above mentioned until January of 1780, he remained at Fort Dayton doing military duties under the same officers above mentioned.  That early in said month of January he enlisted and was sworn into the Boat Service on the Mohawk River for one year.  That he was sworn in by Doctor Peytrie a Physician and Surgeon and also at that time an acting Justice of the Peace.  He firmly believes that Dr. Peytrie was then also the Surgeon to the Army at Fort Dayton.
            That the duty of the boat men was to carry provisions, stores, from Schenectady to Forts Stanwix, Plain, Dayton and Herkimer.  Most of the provisions were convened to Ft. Stanwix.  He thinks there were 16 boats in all on the Mohawk River during the year 1780, though he does not remember that they were all actively engaged at any one time.  The Commander of the Boatmen was Captain Samuel Grey, the Lieutenants' name was Peter Keyser, and Andrew Grey brother to the Capt. was Sergeant.  That late in the fall what month he does not now remember, the boats were frozen in the river while they were at Oriskany, but afterwards the ice broke up and they took the boats down to Schenectady. 
            That at the last mentioned place when the whole Company of Boatmen were together the Captain told them to go home, saying that they were dismissed until they should receive further orders.  That he then returned to Fort Dayton and remained there doing military duty as theretofore under the officers already mentioned until the spring of the Year 1781. 
            That he was not after his discharge at Schenectady as aforesaid again ordered out to do duty in the boat service.  He believes that the United States Soldiers themselves after the year 1780 acted as boatmen on the Mohawk River.  He received no written discharge, no other discharge than the verbal one at Schenectady already mentioned and he has no documentary evidence of the Boat service being rendered by him. 
            That in the spring of the Year 1781 this deponent removed from Ft. Dayton with his mother, sister and brother to Claverack about 3 miles East of Hudson???- that never having received a written discharge from further service at Fort Dayton he has no documentary evidence of the service rendered thereat, but he believes there are two surviving soldiers of the revolution whose names are Jacob Weaver and Peter Dochstater residents of Jefferson County whom he can procure to testify to the said service.
            That in the month of October 1781 as well as he can now remember and while residing at Claverack he called out with the militia of that place to march up to Caughnawaga.  They were commanded by Gen’l. Robt. Van Rensselaer.   His Colonels name was Henry Van Rensselaer and his Captains name was John Philips , they were marched up to Caughnawaga to repel an invasion of the enemy under Col. Butler and Major Ross.  They were absent from home he thinks two weeks.  The Battle had taken place at Johnstown before their arrival, and at Caughnawaga they were ordered to return home. 
            That after the last mentioned expedition in the same year he was called out with the Militia of Claverack & Kinderhook and marched as far as Stillwater to repel the British at Ticonderoga -that he with about one half of the Regiment went only to Stillwater and remained there under the Command of Major ??? of the Kinderhook Militia while Gen’l. Robert Van Rensselaer advanced a head to Ticonderoga with the other half.  Tat they had no battle with the Enemy with the enemy during this expedition.  That they returned home after an absence of about fourteen days.  That the Expedition to Ticonderoga was the last service in which he was engaged.  That he remained residing in Claverack about one year when he removed to Kinderhook where he lived about seven years; whence he moved back to Herkimer County where he lived about 20 years, that he moved thence to Sawyerfield Oneida County where he lived about 22 years whence he moved to Oswego County where he now lives has lived for about 10 years, deponent has no record of his age, but he has been informed and truly believes that he was born in the Town of Herkimer in Herkimer County in the year 1760.
            He hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or an annuity except the present and he declares that his name is not on the Pension Roll of any Agency in any State.
Nicholas Meyers
            Sworn to and subscribed the day and year aforesaid before me. D.H. Marsh Clerk
Oswego County We Edmund Hawks & Simon J. Vrooman residing in the County of Oswego hereby certify that we are well acquainted with Nicholas Myers who has subscribed and sworn to the above declaration.  That we believe him to be eighty years of age.  That he is reputed and believed in the neighborhood where he resides to have been a soldier of the Revolution and that we concur in that opinion.
Edm’d Hawks
Subscribed & sworn to the day & year aforesaid Simon J. Vrooman
before me.D.H. Marsh Clerk

Note: His wife Cornelia applied for pension and apparently received it since the number of the pensions begins with W, for widow receiving benefits.       

Return to opening page of Morrisons's Pensions

Copyright 1998, -- 2006. James F. Morrison and Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.