Morrison's Pensions

Pension Application for Conrad Kilts

Conrad Kilts was born 7 September 1756 at Stone Arabia to Pieter Kils and Anna Maria. He died 12 May 1846. He participated in the battles of Oriskany, Johnstown and Stone Arabia, and stood by the side of Col. Brown when he fell. Conrad saw a long service during the Revolution.

He applied for a Federal pension in 1832-3 (National Archives S13658). The DAR PATRIOT INDEX lists Conrad A. (sic) Kilts (9-7-1756 - 5-12-1846 m. Catharin Leip) as a private from New York. His name appears among those patriots who fought at Oriskany.

Conrath Kiles (Kils, Kilts) is listed as an enlisted man in the Second Regiment of Tryon County Militia under Col. Jacob Klock. In addition, either he (more likely) or his cousin Conrad N. Kilts is credited by Roberts with unexplained service as an enlisted man in the Sixth Regiment of Dutchess County Militia as Coenradt Keltz under Col. Morris Graham; it was not uncommon for soldiers from one militia unit to be detached briefly and assigned to another unit for temporary duty. Neither Conrad, however, mentions such duty in his pension application. Fernow gives a more detailed listing: Koenrad Kills (Conradt Kilts, Conrad Kiltz, Counrad Kitz) a private under Capt. Henry Miller, Col. Jacob Klock; Counradt Kilts private under Capt. Rudolph Kock (Koch), Col. Jacob Klock; Konrath Kiltz private under Capt. John Cayser, Col. Jacob Klock; and Conradt Kilts private under Capt. Zealy, Col. Klock. The service under captains Kock and Zealy could belong to either Conrad, as neither mentions it in his pension application.

James F. Morrison of Gloversville, student of Mohawk Valley Revolutionary militia, has generously furnished references for three company rolls: Capt. Christopher William Fox's company, Col. Jacob Klock, 1776: Cunrad Kiltz Amount of Milage £2.15.0 1/2. Amount of Pay Roll £12.08. - - Total Amount £15.03.O 1/2 (National Archives Revolutionary War Roll 72). A copy of A Pay Roll of Party of Men Capt. Kaiser had under his command June 12th 17771 Counread Kels private Wages for Month £2.13.4 NO of Days 18 £1.11.10 (Public Archives of Canada MG2l Haldimand Transcripts vol. B-225-l). And A List of Capt. Christopher Fox's Company of Milate Liberty 1778: Counrad Kilts (National Archives Revolutionary War Roll 72).

His National Archives pension files gives him credit for a total accumulated service of three years, two months, twenty-seven days spread over six years from 1775 to 1781. His rank throughout the war was private. He entered the service 7 May 1775 under Capt. Christopher W. Fox and Col. Jacob Klock and was trained ready to act at a moments warning. He was drafted for five days under Capt. Fox, Col. Klock, and Gen. Herkimer to march to Caughnawaga in consequence of sheriff White exercising his prerogative of the committee of Safety of Tryon County under British laws and made him a prisoner.

"In January 1776 he was ordered under Capt. Christopher Fox to Caughnawaga and there joined Gen. Philip Schuyler and the militia from Albany and Schenectady; he served one day there, then marched to Johnstown and met Sir John Johnson with 300/400 men under arms causing Sir John to surrender on parole their arms (21 days service). He was twice drafted to Fort Stanwix, once together with the brother of Jacob Snell and others in June and July 1776 for six weeks, and the other time before the Battle of Oriskany in 1777. In 1776 he went in pursuit of the Ellins with boats loaded with goods to go to Canada (14 days). In 1776 he was drafted to Klock's Bush where a young man was murdered (8 days); he was stationed at Johnsons Mills 6 days, at Saltsman's 21 days, at Fort Dayton [in the present village of Herkimer (John C. Divendorf: BATTLES OF NEW YORK ... 1609-1814 (1974)] 21 days, and at Caughnawaga 15 days. His total service during the year was four months twenty days.

In May 1777 he served six days as a private under Capt. Fox and Col. Klock, when he was ordered out in mass on an alarm to march to Ballston. When they arrived at Amsterdam, his group was commanded to Johnstown and returned. In June and July he was drafted again to go to Fort Stanwix for six weeks with the brother of Jacob Snell and others under Ensign Van Etty, Col. Gansevort and Col. Willet. He was stationed there on garrison duty under the "emadient" command of the commandant of the fort. Only the second day after their return, they were again warned and under Capt. Fox and Gen. Herkimer marched to the Oriskany Battle of 6 August 1777. Conrad stated he was "Engaged in Battle from the first to the last at Oriskany." Capt. Fox was severely wounded; others belonging to the same company were wounded and 18 killed. He remained in battle until Col. Willet and Col. Gansevort left the fort advancing into General Saint Ledger's encampment. He also mentioned that many of his relations and near neighbors were with him and a number were slain in battle. After the battle, he was one of the four who carried one of his neighbors, John Snell only brother of Jacob Snell, for about four miles, "leaving him laying in one of our Indian houses with three wounded where he died day after the battle in company wounded each of them died afterwards." John Snell had three mortal wounds and "the one his thurn cut off with a Ball." (15 days service). From September he was drafted to march to Saratoga and Stillwater where he served one month and fifteen days under Capt. Nicholas Righter, Capt. Adam Lape, Lt. P. Loucks, and Gen. Gage at the taking of Burgoyne. He "there remained until after the taking of Burgoyne and himself present at the taking of Burgoyne." Also during the year he was stationed for one month and fifteen days under Capt. Fox, Col. Klock, rendering garrison duty at Fort Paris [one-half mile north of the Stone Arabia churches].

In June 1778 he served eight days under Capt. Miller and Col. Waggoner stationed at Bowman's Creek with the whole regiment guarding against the incursion of the common enemy and eight days under Capt. Miller and Col. Clyde stationed at old William Gerloughs on an alarm. In the forepart of (the season?) he served fifteen days under Capt. Miller stationed at Seebers near Fort Plain on draft and fifteen days under Capt. Miller and Major House drafted to be stationed at Fort Plank [about four miles southwest of Fort Plain ] performing garrison duty. He served five days under Capt. Miller and Col. Klock stationed at Capt. Countryman's where he was taken sick and returned and discharged by his superior officers. He spent nine days under Lt. Waggoner drafted and stationed at Fort Dayton now in Herkimer County. He was drafted to Fort Plank for a second term of garrison duty under Major House. He was drafted once more, for one month, to Fort Herkimer [one half mile east of Fort Herkimer Church], German Flats for garrison duty. He was ordered out under Capt. Miller and Col. Klock, to Cherry Valley at the time, of the general conflagration, murdering, and exercising of the most barbarous cruelties. (11 November). Five days' service. During the year he served two days under Sergt. Shaver by order of Col. Klock to scout with others the north frontier of Palatine in the woods. During the year he served three months and fifteen days, generally under Capt. Miller, Col. Klock, and Maj. Fox. He was stationed at Fort Paris performing garrison duty.

At an unspecified time during his service he was sent to the Royal Grant and to Springfield when all was burnt and to Fort Timmerman [St. Johnsville] when all around it burnt.

An April 1779 he served one day under Sergt. Jacob Snell by order of Maj. Fox, ordered out immediately after the cruel murders by the Indians on Old Hart and wife, Jacob Eply, and a child of Capt. Righter when Capt. Righter and wife, Peter Shites wounded, two or three Indians killed and took flight a distance of eight miles on the frontier. On return they brought along Epply and child of Righter's, Capt. During June and July he served 21 days under Christian Nellis and General Clinton, pressed by order with waggon and horses carrying boats from Canajoharie to Lake Otsego being 20 miles to promote the expedition of our army under General Sullivan to the west not only to (quell?) but destroying the habitations and different castles of the Indians. He also served 21 days under Capt. Keyser drafted to Fort Ox, Royal Grant, guarding against incursions of the enemy and ten days carrying a load of provisions for the supply of the troops at Fort Stanwix. In the fall he served three days under Capt. Keyser pressed to go to Furlough to carry a load of wheat to Fort Plain for the supply of the garrison. Also, in the fall he was pressed for seven days to carry a load of peas from "Fon-days" (Fondas) to Fort Ann for the supply of the American army. During the year he served four months under Capt. Miller, Col. Klock, and Maj. Fox stationed at Fort Paris doing garrison duty.

In the latter part of February and March 1780 he spent fourteen days under Capt. Miller and Col. Klock stationed at Klocks and Failings (St. Johnsville) on an alarm guarding against the incursions of the common enemy. In April he served 14 days under Capt. Miller by order of Col. Klock stationed at George Gettman's on the frontier expecting to meet with the incursions of "our daily expected enemy." 22 May he was ordered out under Capt. Henry Miller, Col. Waggoner, and Col. Harper to Johnstown Village in pursuit of Sir John Johnson immediately after the enemy from Canada had apprised the inhabitants at day break from the village of Caughnawaga with their merciless weapons vizt. tomahawk, scalping knife, connected with combustibles setting fire to each and every building almost without any exceptions for some considerable distance about Caughnawaga, murdering & scalping, also many prisoners taken: men, women and children - under Col. John Harper in pursuit of Sir John Johnson to the village of Johnstown, but immediately after arriving at the village discovered the incendiaries marching away from Johnson Hall across the Hall farm into the woods and decided not to follow them into the woods because the general habit of the Tories and Indians when followed up closely, in murdering and butchering the poor helpless prisoners - in consequence the poor distressed women & children, male, under 16 allowed to return. Three days service. In July and August he served fifteen days under Capt. Miller, Col. Harper, and Gen. Van Rensselaer, ordered out to Fort Schuyler [Utica] to the relief of Capt. Samuel Gray and his company of boatmen with their boats destined to Fort Stanwix with provisions to supply the garrison, when obstructed by Capt. Brandt, guarding them safe to Fort Stanwix. From 19 October he spent two days under Capt. Miller and Col. Brown in the battle on Klock and Failing's Flats at Stone Arabia, called Brown's Battle where Col. Brown was killed. Jacob Snell was wounded in the battle and about 45 others were killed on their retreat. They pursued Sir John with his incendiary crew for about eight miles up along the Mohawk River via Klock and Failing's Flats where they took battle and continued to fight until the enemy took flight. During 1780 he was ordered to join Col. Willet to take battle at Furlough, but Col. Willet with his men enjoined with the enemy in battle and Col. Willet with his men had left the ground when several of Willets men were killed and left "laying" but when the militia came up near the encampment of the enemy have left their encampment and went off. Considerable many of Willet's party killed. There found a young boy by the name of Dieffendorff supposing dead his scalp taken off but he appeared to be alive, and carried off on our return. During 1780 he served three months under Capt. Miller, Col. Klock, and Maj. Fox stationed at Fort Paris performing garrison duty at different times during the year. He spent at least one month every year from 1780 until 1782 called out pursuing the enemy in different directions. His total service in 1780 was six months.

He served one month under Capt. Miller and Maj. Fox from the early part of the spring to late in the fall of 1781, the incendiaries continually lurking around at some distance in the woods sometimes at one place and at other times at another neighborhood, annoying the inhabitants, murdering and scalping and taking prisoners and on each occurrence the only notice required most frequently was the firing of the alarming gun when each and every able bodied militia soldier would consider it a momentary notice or warning in having recourse to Fort Paris prepared to meet the occurrence. In July 1781 he was ordered for one day by P. S. Dygert Esq. and pressed with team to carry a load of flour to Johnstown for the supply of the garrison of our troops. 25 October 1781 Jacob Snell and Conrad Kilts were engaged under Capt. Miller, Col. Waggoner, and Col. Willet against Maj. Ross and Capt. Butler and 800 Indians and Tories and regular troops considered of good reputation near Johnstown, the Johnstown Battle, commencing in the woods and terminating on the Wall farm in favor of Col. Willet. Some men and beasts were killed and prisoners taken to Canada. Col. Klock's regiment was ordered out immediately previous to our arrival at the village of Johnstown there joining Col. Willet. Under Col. Willet they pursued the enemy a distance of about thirty miles. Six days service. During 1781 he was stationed three months under Capt. Miller, Col. Klock, and Maj. Fox at Fort Paris performing garrison duty at different times during the year.

In 1833 Jacob Snell deposed that Conrad Kilts was "a good and faithful soldier during the whole war, from the Commencement to the close."

4 November 1784 Col. Jacob Klock issued certificates to his militiamen for service during the late war. Conrath Kilz signed for #1084 (amount burned), #1468 (£1... remaining amount burned), and #1393 (£4.3.3). (New York State Archives and Manuscripts).

In 1786 Col. Klock collected receipts from his men to settle accounts for service during the Revolution. 27 August Cunrath Kiltz signed for certificate #18729 issued to Konrath Kiltz pvt. under Capt. John Cayser (£0.14.2) witnessed by John Grams. The same day Conrad Kills his mark X heir at law signed for #18630 and #18981 issued to Peter Kills; both signatures were witnessed by John Grams. (New York State Archives and Manuscripts, Albany).

Return to opening page of Morrisons's Pensions

Copyright 1998, -- 2005. James F. Morrison and Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.