Morrison's Pensions

Pension Application for Peter J. Quackenboss

State of New York
Montgomery County
On this nineteenth day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty two personally appeared in open court before the judges of the Court of Common Pleas of Montgomery County now sitting at the Court House in Johnstown in and for said County, Peter J. Quackenboss, a resident of the Town of Glen in the County and State aforesaid, aged seventy eight years who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the Act of Congress passed June 7, 1832.

That he entered the service of the United States under the following named officers and served as herein stated.

That in the year 1776 this deponent belonged to a company commanded by Captain Jacob Gardinier in Col. Frederick Fisher’s Regiment of the New York State Militia and held himself in readiness as a minute man to be called upon at any moment with three days provision and sufficient ammunition for the same time; that said company was very frequently called out for military exercise and improvement in the early part of the Revolution. That some time in the year 1777 as near as he can now recollect, but the day and month cannot remember. This deponent marched with a part of Captain Gardinier’s Company from the now Town of Glen to Sacandaga in the Town of Northampton about twenty five miles to a Block House near Sacandaga and that this deponent and the others in the American Service was engaged in building a new block house which was called Fort Fisher, to prevent the Tories and Indians from going to and from this quarter of the country to Canada. After building Fort Fisher which occupied them about six or eight days they returned home.

That some time during the same year this deponent was ordered to Johnstown to oppose the British forces Commanded by Sir John Johnson at that place. General Schuyler Commanded the American forces; and the Americans took about six hundred prisoners from Sir John Johnson which included himself and about all his forces. The Americans taking all these arms and ammunition permitted Johnson and his men to go upon parole of honor. And this deponent returned home to the Town of Glen.

That sometime about the first of August 1777, this deponent was marched from the Town of Glen to Oriskany in the County of Oneida (this can’t be right!) in Captain Gardiner’s Company of Militia to oppose the Tories of General St. Leger. Captain Gardinier’s Company including the Regiment Commanded by Col. Frederick Fisher, marched on the south side of the Mohawk River as far as the Indian Castle a little above Fort Plain and then found the forces Commanded by General Herkimer.

Near the place General Herkimer Commanding took a number of Tories and left them at Fort Dayton with a guard to take care of them, and continued on his march, crossed the Mohawk River at Herkimer near the West Canada Creek and continued up the Mohawk River near Utica and then recrossed the river and passed up the south side of the Mohawk River through Whitestown and camped near Oriskany Creek.

The next day about nine o’clock in the morning the battle commenced between the forces under the Command of General Herkimer and the British. Herkimer’s forces were surrounded by the British by falling in ambush and suffered considerably. General Herkimer became mortally wounded. Captain Gardiner was wounded having been pierced in two places with the bayonet near the hip joint. Col. Cox and Captain Davis, both died of their wounds. And Peter Covenhoven was shot with a ball near the knee.

After the battle the American forces returned down the Mohawk to Montgomery on the same route as they advanced. The deponent well recollects that Col. Willett and Gansevoort Commanded the other part of the American Army at Oriskany in opposing the forces of Gen’l St. Leger.

And this deponent further says that some time before General Burgoyne came from Canada by the way of Lake Champlain and the Hudson River with his Army, but the month or year the deponent cannot now remember, he was ??? to go to Fort Edward on the Hudson River for the defending of this place. That he took his own team, went by Schenectady and through the County of Saratoga to Fort Edward and was then employed about eight weeks as near as he can recollect in carting provisions from Fort Edward to Lake George for the benefit of the American Troops. General Schuyler then commanded at this place.

And this deponent further says that he was at Cherry Valley at the time the American forces were out of that place. That he went in Captain Gardinier’s Company arrived at Cherry Valley just after the battle was over and assisted in aiding the sick and wounded, burying the dead. That it is impossible for him to remember the year from his advanced age. But he recollects that Brant an Indian and Walter Butler commanded the enemies forces, and this deponent well recollects that he had been ordered out and stationed at Cherry Valley as a guard and that place, some two or three weeks previous to the time the forces were cut off at that place. That Major John Newkirk and Captain Jacob Gardinier Commanded the Americans before the battle was fought that after having been stationed there some time about two weeks, he had permission to come home and his captain also and soon after heard that Cherry Valley was attacked by Brant and Butler and this deponent then returned to Cherry Valley to assist in the defense of that place. Arrived just as the battle was over as before related.

And this deponent further says that a battle was fought between the British and Americans at Turlock, now called the Town of Sharon in the County of Schoharie and a company of men commanded by Captain Garret Putman marched to the relief of the Americans at that place and the deponent went with the company from Glen to Schoharie to aid and assist in the defense of that place but the battle had ended principally by the time Captain Putman arrived, Captain McKeen and American officer died of his wounds. Col. Willett commanded the American forces and this deponent assisted in taking care of the sick and wounded. This deponent cannot remember the year the aforesaid battle was fought but believes it to have been in the year 1781.

And this deponent further saith that some time after the Oriskany Battle this deponent cannot say whether it was the next or the year then after; he was ordered out with the rest of the Militia belonging to Col. Frederick Fisher’s Regiment to march to Fort Plain in Montgomery County. Captain Jacob Gardinier was Captain of this deponent’s company. Col. Volkert Veeder commanded the regiment in consequence of Col. Fisher having been scalped by the Indians and unable to do duty.

While the deponent was absent at Fort Plain embodied with the Militia at that place, Sir John Johnson with the hostile Indians, British and Tories, burnt Schoharie and marched down to the Schoharie Creek and Montgomery County and burnt all the houses along the Mohawk in the Town of Glen and kept a very few owned by the Tories. This deponent’s house was burnt with all his furniture and provisions. And he and his family lived three days without any thing to eat except one loaf of bread. That this deponent returned from Fort Plain as soon as he heard that his house had been burnt.

And this deponent further saith that he stood for three summers sentinel at Fort Hunter near Schorie Creek by taking his regular tour of duty at that place when not otherwise employed in the service.

And this deponent further saith that he was engaged more of less during the whole Revolution standing Sentinel, going on express; and engaged in scouting parties and that while this deponent was stationed at Schoharie Creek he took five men prisoners from Major Ross’ Tories at the time.

The battle was fought at Johnstown between the Americans and the British. Col. Willett commanded the Americans at Johnstown; and Major Ross the British forces. The British marched from Curry town down through Warrensbush, now the Town of Florida near the Schoharie Creek and crossed the Mohawk River a little below the Schoharie Creek and proceeded to Johnstown.

And this deponent further says that he was born in the now Town of Glen as he has understood and believes in the year 1754. That he has no record of his age as the same was burnt in the Revolution when his house was burnt by the British and Indians. That he lived in the now Town of Glen when he entered the American Service. And has lived in the same place over since the war where he now resides. That this deponent was drafted part of the time while engaged in the American Service and volunteered the residue. That he never received any written discharge. That in the foregoing account he has stated the principle officers engaged in the service as near as he can recollect and the circumstances of his service. He expects to be able to prove some of his service by contemporary ??? William Forgason, Cornelius Newkirk and Myndert B. Wemple. That he has no documentary evidence. And hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the present and declares that his name is not on the Pension Roll of the agency of any state or of the United States. And this deponent expect to prove by Abraham Van Horne, and Myndert Wemple who can testify as to the veracity of the deponent and of their believe as to this deponent’s service as a soldier of the Revolution.

(Signed with his mark) Peter J. Quackenboss

Testimony was provided by Myndert B. Wemple, William Forgason, Cornelius Newkirk, William Wallace, Nicholas A Gardinier, Howland Fish, John Hand and John Sanford. This pension was DENIED because he did not specifically state the times of service.

June 10, 1833, he tried once more to apply for his pension.
State of New York
Montgomery County
Peter J. Quackenboss, this applicant who signed the annexed declaration for a pension in further specification and supplement to said declaration being duly sworn doth depose and say:

That in the year 1777 he was engaged in building a new block house called Fort Fisher at Sacandaga. Six days at the least in the manner particularly described and set forth in his former declarations.

And this deponent further preparation of his said declaration saith that in 1777 he was ordered to march to Johnstown to oppose the British forces commanded by Sir John Johnson in a manner now particularly set forth in his declaration. He was under the command of Captain Jacob Gardinier in Col. Fisher’s Regiment. He was actually engaged in this service at Johnstown twenty days at the least. The month that this service was rendered this deponent does not remember.

And the deponent further says that in the month of August in the same year, 1777 as near as the can recollect it was at the first of August in the same year, 1777, as near as he can recollect it was the first part of August. This deponent was ordered out in Captain Gardinier’s Company to march to Oriskany in the County of Oneida to oppose the forces of the British under the command of General St. Leger, as is now particularly detailed in his former declaration. The Battle which was fought at Oriskany was generally known by the name of the Oriskany Battle, that from the time this deponent left his home for said expedition in going to and returned from the Oriskany Battle, he was engaged in that service twenty six days at the least.

This deponent further says in specification of his former declaration, that forward to the time that General Burgoyne came from Canada by the way of the Lake Champlain and the Hudson River in the manner particularly set forth in his former declaration. He this deponent and others from the County of Montgomery were pressed into this public service as stated in his said declaration.

And that this deponent was engaged in this service at the least the term of seven weeks.

Three hundred wagons and teams as near as he could judge were pressed into said service. And one Christopher Yates had the command of the teams in regard to their employment. And then deponent was ordered out under Captain Gardinier and was stationed at Cherry Valley on duty for two weeks at the least before the battle was fought at Cherry Valley, he had permission to return home and his captain also as is particularly set forth in his former declaration. They heard Cherry Valley was attacked by Brant and Butler and this deponent and Captain returned back to Cherry Valley and found the American Troops as the battle was over. In the last service the deponent was engaged eight days at the least.

And this deponent further says that he was engaged at the time of the Turlock Battle at a place now called the Town of Sharon in the County of Schoharie the term of ten days at the least, the manner of circumstances of that service is particularly detailed in his former declaration. This deponent also further declares that he was stationed at Fort Plain in the public service of at least fourteen days, a detailed amount of that service is made in his former declaration to which he refers.

And this deponent further declares that he was stationed for three successive summers at Fort Hunter near Schoharie Creek as a sentinel. He will not be positive as to the several years he was stationed here but believes it to be in the years 1780, 1781, 1782 to the best of his recollection.

That the first year he was stationed at said fort he commenced service as early as the 20th May and continued as late as the 1st of October at least.

In the second year he commenced as early as the first of June and continued in service until as late as the 1st of September at the least.

And in the third year he commenced as early as the 15th May and continued in service as late as the 18th September at the least, making the amount of service at Fort Hunter eleven months and six days. That while at Fort Hunter he continued constantly at the fort except he left the fort as often as twice a week on scouting parties to watch the movement of the British and Indians and he thinks that he was absent at the time of the Turlock Battle. That during this deponent’s service at Fort Hunter, Garret Putman had command of the fort part of the time who held the rank of Captain. Captain Whelfs a Frenchman also had command of the fort during some part of the time; and that which this deponent was engaged in the public service as stated in his declaration and in this supplement thinks he was not employed in any other pursuit.

And deponent further declares that he has omitted to state in its regular order twenty days which he served at Sacandaga before the new block house was built on guard at this place in Captain Gardinier’s Company in Col. Frederick Fisher’s Regiment. This service was rendered in the latter part of the year 1776 or 1777. He cannot remember which, at a place a little north of the new block house.

And this deponent further declares by reason of forgetfulness he omitted on is former declaration to state that he served at least twelve days at Stone Arabia in the Town of Palatine in Captain Gardinier’s Company in Col. Fisher’s Regiment upon an alarm at that place. The service was rendered sometime in the year 1777 to as best of his recollection, as the thinks it was near the time of the Oriskany Battle.

And this deponent also omitted in his first disclosure to state that he was ordered out by Captain Gardinier with ten or twelve other men to go and take on Yerry Cuck a mulatto and a noted Tory and Spy who traveled between Canada and this country to obtain information for the British. The party surrounded a house then in the Town of Charleston in this county occupied by a man named Van Zail and they found Cuck in the house under the floor concealed whom they took Cuck was well armed and attempted to shoot but was shot dead by the party under Captain Gardinier. And Captain Gardinier and his men made a prisoner of John Van Zail and delivered him to the Commanding Officers at Johnstown. In this service this deponent was engaged four days at the least, making the final amount of his service seventeen months and twenty days.
(Signed with his mark) Peter J. Quackenbush

I Douw Van OLinda of the Town of Mohawk County of Montgomery and the State of New York hereby certify that I am at present the minister of the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Caughnawaga in the Town of Mohawk and County of Montgomery and as such minister I have the custody of the church records. That I have examined the records and find in the records of marriages in the hand writing of Dominie Romeyn, on what is generally understood to be his hand writing he being the minister of said church at the time the following entry~

“1774 July 19 Peter Quackinbus wed Susanne Bradt”

I certify the above to be a true extract from the records word for word and letter for letter by which it appears that the said Peter Quackenbus and Susanne Bradt were lawfully married at that time. Douw Van OLinda
Sworn to before me this 11th day of March 1853
John Everson, Justice of the Peace

Return to opening page of Morrisons's Pensions

Copyright 1998, -- 2005. James F. Morrison and Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.