Morrison's Pensions

Pension Application for John Spore

State of New York
Steuben County SS
            On this seventeenth day of October in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty two personally appeared in open court the Court of Common Pleas now sitting at the Court House in Bath in the County and State aforesaid, being a Court of record John Spore a resident of the town of Pulteney in the county and State aforesaid aged seventy two years, who being first duly sworn according to law on his oath doth make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the provisions made by the act of Congress passed  June 7th 1832.  That about the 1st of August 1777 (1) he resided at Mohawk now Florida in the County of Montgomery in the State of New York and was at that—time called out to serve as a militia man on the Frontiers that he belonged to a company under the command of Captain David McMaster, Lieutenant James McMaster and Ensign David Beverly in a regiment under the command of Frederick Vischar [Fisher] and Lieutenant [Colonel] Veeder (2), and Major ( as this declarant thinks) John Newkirk. That soon thereafter he marched with his company and regiment to Oriskany (3) in the County of Oneida & State aforesaid and was at the battle of Oriskany (3) under the command of General Herkimer while they were on their march to the relief of the Continental troops in Fort Stanwix and when near that place they were attacked by a large number of the British army and Indians and were driven back and routed until the regiment to which this declarant belonged was relieved by some troops sent from the Fort to the relief of General Herkimer—The British Army and Indians were under the command of an officer by the name of St. Leger or Johnson—that this declarant returned home a short time after the engagement and the next week after he was drafted to go to Johnstown in the County of Montgomery and went and remained there in garrison under the command of Captain Benjamin Newkirk (4)that there was a fort at Johnstown but this declarant has forgot the name of the fort and was discharged after performing service about one month from first time he went out.
            That about 1st of April 1778, he enlisted for nine months in a company under the command of Captain Cornelius Borheit (5), his other officers names not recollected and marched from Florida (at which place this declarant enlisted) to Albany and about the 14th day of April next was mustered at Albany and sworn into the service of the United States and then sailed up the river with his company in boats to Saratoga and carried provisions on board of the boats for the army.  That his Colonel’s name was Christopher Yates and his Captains Cornelius Barheit and remained at Saratoga until time in the month of June next and then left that place and went down the river to Tarrytown with two or three companies and that they took down the river with them some boats called Gondolas.  That he remained at Tarrytown about two or three months and was engaged while there in tending the Continental ferry.  Lieut. Colonel Carlton (or Tarlton) was then in command with about 250 troop[s] belonging to the Continental Army.  That he remained there under the command of the Continental officer until the time the American army was retreating before the British Army under the Command of Lord Howe which they were marching for New York that when the British army were near Tarrytown the whole number of men then left that place and went up the river to Fishkill and remained there until sometime in December or January next when this—declarant was discharged and returned home that no written discharge was given him.
            That in the month of April 1779 (6) when the British army came down from Canada and burnt all the villages on the North river he was again called out under the command of Captain David McMaster, Lieut. James McMaster, and ensign David Beverly, in the regiment under the command of Colonel Frederick Vischar, Lieut. Col. Veeder & Major John Newkirk (the same officer first named) to check the march of the British and served at that time and at—other times during that year for the term of two months and more.
            In April 1780 (7) he was again called out under the last mentioned officers and marched to Sacondaga and was there engaged for sometime in building a block house to be used as a barrack for scouting parties that he served during this year two months and upwards.
            In fall of 1781 when Ross (8) came down from Canada he again was called out under the command of same Captain & was put under the command of Colonel Willet and served at that time eleven days and that he served during that year two months and more.
            In the [year] 1782 this declarant served under the first mentioned officer for the term of two months and more.  That in fixing upon the period of the above mentioned services this declarant has been governed by the time he was in actual service—and that he was called out at various other times under the first mentioned officers and performed various services a minute man in the militia from one day to two weeks at a time but the particulars of which this declarant cannot state owing to his impaired memory.
            That he has no documentary testimony and that he knows of no person whose testimony he can procure who can testify to his service, except Albert Van Housen, Deric Van Vecten and Henry Staley whose affidavits are heretunto annexed.
            Was born at Athens then Loringburgh in the County of Albany on the 21st day of July 1760.
            Has a record of his age in his own bible and his Father’s bible now in his brother’s possession.         
            That he has resided since the Revolution at—in the County of Montgomery in the State of New York and afterwards in Charlestown in same County and State and afterwards in Greenville in the county of Green in said State and then moved to his present place of residence.
            That he was called into the service of the United States as is before stated—the particulars of his services are given above as fully as in this declarants power.
            He states the names of James Pierce and Allen Pierce of Pultney in the County of Steuben as persons to whom he is known in his present neighborhood and who can testify as to his character for veracity and their belief of his services as a soldier of the Revolution.
            He hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the present and declares that his name is not on the pension roll of agency of any state.  (Signed) John Spore
            Sworn to & subscribed the day and year aforesaid.  M.S. Rumsey Dep. Clk, Steuben County.

End Notes—John Spore S.16258

    1. John turned 16 in 1776 and would have enrolled in the nearest militia company to where he lived.  He may have enlisted under Captain Abner French (Sixth Company) in Colonel Frederick Visscher’s (or Fisher) Regiment of Tryon County Militia, Third Regiment.  Captain French joined the Second New York Continental Regiment and was commissioned First Lieutenant on 21 November 1776.  The First Lieutenant David McMaster then assumed the command of the Sixth Company.  He was commissioned captain of this company on 25 June 1778.  The other officers were First Lieutenant Lawrence Shuler, Second Lieutenant James McMaster and Ensign David Beverly.
    2. The regimental officers besides Colonel Visscher were: Lieutenant-Colonel Volkert Veeder, First Major John Blevin, Second Major John Newkirk, Adjutant Peter Conyne and Quarter Master Abraham Van Horne.
    3. The Battle of Oriskany was fought on the 6th of August 1777.  The American militia were under Brigadier General Nicholas Herkimer.
    4. There was no officer named Benjamin Newkirk that served in Colonel Visscher’s Regiment from 1775-1783.
    5. Captain Cornelius Barhydt’s Company of Bateaumen or Boatmen.  John enlisted on April 17, 1778.  He was still in service at Fishkill on December 24, 1778.  FROM: Revolutionary War Rolls 1775-1783, Series M-246, Roll 122, QuarterMaster’s Department, National Archives, Washington DC.
    6. This happened on May 22, 1780 when Sir John Johnson destroyed Tribes Hill and Caughnawaga.  Tribes Hill is in the present day Town of Mohawk and Caughnawaga is now the Village of Fonda.
    7. The Sacondaga Blockhouse was built in April 1779 per orders of Brigadier General James Clinton.
    8. Major John Ross destroyed Warren’s Bush, which is the present day Town of Florida, and marched to the Village of Johnstown on October 25, 1781 where a battle was fought. The Americans were under Lieutenant-Colonel Marinus Willett.  Also on 8 March 1781, the following officers under Captain McMaster were commissioned: First Lieutenant James McMaster vice (in place of) Lawrence Shuler, declined (resigned), Second Lieutenant David Beverly and Ensign Ephraim Pearce.  Also during John’s service he had served as a corporal in Captain McMaster’s company.
    9. Albert VanHusen, Derick VanVechten and Henry Staley served under Colonel Visscher.  VanHusen and Staley served in Captain McMaster’s Company.  VanVechten served as Ensign in Captain Emanuel DeGraff’s Company, Seventh Company, in Colonel Visscher’s Regiment.

    Return to opening page of Morrison's Pensions

    Copyright 1998, -- 2007. James F. Morrison and Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.