Morrison's Pensions

Pension Application for Jeremiah Youngs

S.9533 (Awarded pension $98.00 per annum)
            Declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the provision made by an act of Congress passed June 7th 1832, granting pensions to certain Soldiers and of the War of the Revolution.
State of New York
Schoharie County SS.
            On this 13th day of June 1844 personally appeared before John Wistom Judge of Schoharie County courts Jeremiah Youngs a resident of the town of Seward in the county and State aforesaid aged eighty nine years and upwards who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the provision made by an act of Congress passed June 7th 1832.  That he enlisted into the service of the United States on or about the first day of June 1778 as an enlisted boatman for the term of nine months to serve on the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers—That according to the best of his recollection he entered the service under the command of one Capt. James Dickinson or Dickson.(1)   But that during said term he served under various & different officers.  That in the early part of the season he was employed in transporting military stores of different kinds to and from the City of Albany and Tappann at which place the American Army was then stationed until sometime in the month of July when he was ordered by his commanding officer with a party of men to make hay in the neighbourhood of the White Plains for the use of the horses in the service of the army of the United States at that station.  That in August he was again engaged in transporting the Continental Army from Tappann to Tarrytown which army was under the immediate command of Gen. Washington at which time he saw the commander in chief of the Continental Army that he was subsequently employed in transporting wood from Coyeman’s to the garrison at Albany and for their use until late in the month of November when he was ordered by the Quarter Master Wendell at Albany to assist in transporting provisions and other necessaries up the Mohawk River as far as Roofs Village now Canajoharie for the relief of the inhabitants of Cherry Valley which place had been recently plundered and burned by the enemy.  That he proceeded in company with several boats in the execution of said orders and safely delivered the provisions & at Canajoharie the season being now far advanced the weather began to be cold and ice to appear in the rivers—when this declarant hired one William Van Slyke as a substitute for the remainder of the time which he had to serve which could not excuse three or four weeks and paid him therefore out of his own pocket the sum of ten Dollars, and that this was by the consent of his Superior officers and by their consent he then returned home which was at a place then called Rinebeck [Rhinebeck] now Carlisle in the County of Schoharie.  That the said William VanSlyke served out the remaining part of said term of nine months as this declarant has been informed by William Engle neither of the two last mentioned men being now alive.
            This declarant is informed that rolls have been filed in the war department at Washington proving the service or some of the service performed by boatmen on the Mohawk River during the war of the revolution & if any such rolls exist he could refer the department to said rolls for further proof of the services performed by said Claimant.—
            And this declarant further saith that in the month of June of the following year (1779) he was drafted into a company of Militia as a Corporal under the immediate command of Lieutenant Martin Mommell  [Humble]  and Major Adam Wynkoop (2) the Capt. of any not recollected.  That he was called into service this time mainly for the purpose of guarding provisions sent from Albany to Fort Stanwix.  That in the execution of of [sic] this duty and during this time he served about five months.  But that he does not recollect what portion of said term he served as a corporal but thinks it was but a short time perhaps two or three weeks.  And this declarant further saith that in the fall of the same year he was appointed to the office of Ensign in a company commanded by Capt. Mathias Brown (3) and in the Regiment commanded by Col. Samuel Clyde and was immediately called into the service and served under said officers for the term of four months.  That this service was performed at different points along the Mohawk River and its vicinity.  That soon after the termination of the aforesaid service this declarant together with his former Capt. Mathias Brown and their families were driven from their residences in Schoharie County by the enemy and they together with the people in that vicinity generally fled to a place in Ulster County then called the West Camp and in this took place in the summer of 1780 (4) he was drafted into the service in a company of Militia under the command of Capt. Isaac Bogart (5) and Col. John Harper’s Regiment as a private That this time he was marched to Fort Stanwix and guarded a supply of provisions and served [?] their three months.  And this declarant further saith that some time in the following fall he was again called into service, under the last named officers and marched to the same station at Fort Stanwix [6] where the served for between three and four months.  This declarant also states that his commission as Ensign was signed by George Clinton Governor and was in his possession until within the last fifteen or twenty years since which time he has no recollection of seeing it.  That the sword that this declarant used and wore in the service of his country as an Ensign was kept & retained in his possession until within the last eight years when the blade was worked up into knives and other articles by one Pete Weatherwax, but that the hilt is still retained in the possession of this declarant and that his military coat has been in his possession until within the last five years.  That he has no discharges or other documentary evidence of the services rendered by him in his possession and that he knows of no person whose testimony he can procure who can testify to his services except those hereunto annexed.—
            And for the services above named he claims a pension and arrears of pension from March 4th 1831 to the present time.  And he hereby relinquishes every claim whatsoever to his pension or arrears of pension or annuity except the present and declares that his name is not on the pension list Roll of any agency in any State.  (Signed with his mark)  Jeremiah Youngs.
            Subscribed and Sworn the day and year aforesaid before me, and I certify that the declarant Jeremiah Youngs, is unable to attend court by reason of old age & bodily infirmities.  John Wistom, Judge of Schoharie County Courts.

Reply to a letter of inquiry dated December 29, 1923
            I have to advise you that from the papers in the Revolutionary War pension claim S.9533 it appears that Jeremiah Youngs, the son of Peter, while living in Rinebeck (Which was later Carlisle), Schoharie county, New York, enlisted April 1, 1778 and served nearly nine months as a private in Captain James Dickenson’s Company, New York Troops. 
            He enlisted in June 1779 and served five months as private and Corporal under Major Adrian Wynkoop, and in the Fall of 1779 was appointed Ensign and served four months in Captain Matthew Brown’s Company, Colonel Samuel Clyde’s New York Regiment.
            In the summer of 1780 he enlisted and served over two months as a private in Captain Isaac Bogart’s company, Colonel John Harper’s New York Regiment, and in the Fall of 1780 he enlisted and served between three and four months as a private in the last named Company and Regiment.
            He was allowed pension on his application executed June 13, 1844, a resident of Seward, Schoharie County, New York aged eighty-nine years.  He died in said Seward on March 3, 1845 leaving no widow, but the following children:
            Martines aged 49 years in 1844
            Cornelius aged 47 years in 1847
            Adam living in Seward, New York in 1851
            Laura (or Lana)
            A grandson of soldier, Jeremiah P. Young, was living in Seward, New York in 1852.  The name of soldier’s wife is not stated.

End Notes—Jeremiah Youngs S.9533

    1. Jeremiah enlisted as a private May 8, 1778 in Captain James Dickson’s Company of Boatman.  William Engle enlisted on the same date the Muster Roll is dated July 22, 1778 Camp at White Plains.  FROM: Revolutionary War Rolls 1775-1783,Series M-246, Roll 122, National Archives, Washington, DC.
    2. Jeremiah maybe mistaken about the year of this service and may have been performed after he moved to Ulster County.  Second Lieutenant Martinus Humble was in Captain Jeremiah Snyder’s Company in Colonel Johannes Snyder’s Regiment of Ulster County Militia, First Regiment.  Adrian Wynkoop was the First Major of this regiment.
    3. Jeremiah was commissioned Ensign on March 4, 1780 in Captain John Mathias Brown’s Company, New Dorlach and Rhinebeck settlements area, in Colonel Samuel Campbell’s Regiment of Tryon County Militia, First Regiment.
    4. The families moved on or after October 17, 1780.  Sir John Johnson burned the Schoharie Valley then and not in the summer.
    5. Jeremiah enlisted as a private in Captain Isaac Bogart’s Company in Colonel John Harper’s Regiment of New York State Levies in May of 1780.
    6. Jeremiah with the regiment under Major James M. Hughes garrisoned Fort Schuyler (Fort Stanwix) from the last week of September until almost the end of November 1780.  Jeremiah was discharged on November 30, 1780.
      Return to opening page of Morrison's Pensions
    Copyright 1998, -- 2007. James F. Morrison and Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.